So, I spent most of yesterday and a few hours today reading and writing about Who God is. One thing I realize is that God is beyond my understanding. I will never, no matter how hard I try, come to a complete comprehension of Him. But if we were honest, why would we want a Creator that is on a level we understand? He is so much bigger than me, and I am incredibly thankful for that! Anyway, I set out on this mission to discover God knowing that I would never come out the other side with a finished image of who He is. But, I also know that there are certain things about Himself that He has made known to us. So, I made a list of the things that I know to be true of God’s character. Now, I have a list of truths to make sure I always view God in consistent light. As I continue to learn more about Him, I can add to my list, and I think this will help me grow closer to my Lord just as I grow closer to friends when I learn more about them. Here is the list I created:
- Limitless – God goes beyond time and space. I cannot fully comprehend Him.
- All-Sufficient and All-Encompassing – God is all and is capable of all. He is my source of everything I need and He is always enough (but never too much).
- All-Loving – God is love. He loves me and everyone else. He will always love me and His love is not dependent on me.
- Holy (x3) – God is perfectly set apart. (This is why I added the x3. The Hebrews in the Old Testament said “holy, holy, holy” to emphasize the perfectness of His Holiness.) This is why there is nothing to compare to Him and why I will never fully understand Him. I will never have enough words to describe Him, but I will also never be able to exaggerate Him.
- All-Knowing – God knows exactly who I am, and every piece of me. I cannot fool Him. He knows my past, present, and future. He knows my thoughts before I know I am going to think them. He knows what is best for me and has a perfect plan for my life. I cannot escape Him. Nothing comes as a surprise to Him. He chooses to know every detail about me.
- All-Powerful – Everything was created BY God and FOR God. I have no reason to question Him, and no right to question Him, because He alone is capable of all things and holds complete power. I am regarded as nothing compared to Him. (Daniel 4:35)
- Fair and Just – God is the ONLY good Being, and He sets the standards. He never excuses sin, but punishes it consistently as it deserves.
- Gracious and Merciful – He hates our sin, but loves us. He sent His son to suffer and die in order to offer me forgiveness, freedom, new life, and eternity with Him.
- Faithful – God keeps His promises. He will never, and can never, fail me. All I need to do is look to Him and His promises.
So, how does learning all of this tie into my time over here in Lithuania? Well, as I have been saying, I believed that part of the reason God called me to this semester abroad is because He knew there were some things He needed to teach me, but I would only learn them if I was removed from all things (and people) familiar and comfortable. Learning about Who God really is has been one of those lessons. During the 45 days since I left home, I have been moved to my feet, my knees, tears, laughter, ear-to-ear smiles, and so many other expressions of awe by my amazing God revealing Himself to me. I have been trying for 3.5 years now to learn what it means to run after Him, and I am finally figuring it out. It means taking myself out of “my” world in order to see God for Who He is. Whether this means shutting myself in my bedroom at home in complete silence, taking time away from homework, going for a run in the woods without music in my ears, or flying to the other side of the globe where I know nothing and no one, I have to bring myself back to God every day. He never changes or moves away from me, but I am a creature of change and movement. If God seems different to me from one day to the next, it’s because I have changed. Being here in Lithuania, where everything is new and my life is full of changes, I have been able to see how God has remained constant. He is in me just like He was in me in Bryan, Ohio and Marion, Indiana. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. I am so excited to continue getting to know Him every day of the rest of my life.